Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hello, where have you been?

The last few weeks I’ve let my blog writing slip. There’s no excuse but there you have it.


I’ve been back to work now for a little over a month and it’s been good. I’ve expressed my concerns about my job description vs. my actual duties with my very understanding boss. There will be some changes in our department in the next few months so nothing drastic has changed. At least we’ve had a conversation about it and she’s aware of the unbalanced load between me and my colleague and has made an effort to balance it out.

Shihan Bill has finally convinced me to take up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or BJJ as it is referred to in the dojo. It’s pretty similar to the traditional Japanese style our dojo is famous for, but there seems to be a LOT more focus on grappling. The bonus is my Tuesday and Thursday night training has now been extended by 45 minutes and I love the “me time” I have to get in shape, to do something I really enjoy and seem to be pretty good at. At least Shihan sees potential in me and that’s quite reassuring.

This past weekend was my 31st birthday. The family all chipped in together to get me my long awaited ukulele! That was a really great surprise. Dad took me to the Ottawa Folklore Centre to pick one out the eve of my birthday and I got to bring it home with me cause he was doing other errands on the bus – safety first I always say (for the uke!). I promised to learn a song for my birthday brunch Sunday and chose “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah (here I am at Camp Granada)”, a song I used to sing with my muddah and faddah when I was young. It was a hit!

For my birthday dinner, Morgan took me out for a really nice meal at a bistro called Petit Bills, on Wellington Street. The meal we had was quite nice but had I known the menu consisted of mainly seafood I would have chosen someplace different. Thanks Smac for babysitting! I can’t wait to use my gift certificate to Hummingbird Medi Spa for a relaxing massage and manicure!

Robyn is a walking and running machine! She has two new teeth up top, totalling four all together. Her vocabulary is developing quite well, although she doesn’t say much more than “mama”, “dada”, “Oh, oh!”, “bay-yer” (which I think is bear), “day-ya” (which I think is Dave) and “CAT!” (which she can only scream), she understands what we’re saying to her pretty well. She loves music and to dance and clap her hands – it’s really fun to watch her bounce up and down to the beat. She has pretty good rhythm too. It’s time to invest in some new clothes for this little one as she’s starting to be too big for most of her clothes – hooray, Boomerang and Value Village here I come!!

1 comment:

  1. The grappling is okay as long as you don't turn into Defendor 2, and as long as you don't show up with a broken jaw or on UFC for Women! And by the way, when can we expect a follow-up release to "Hello muddah . . ." ?

    - Faddah

    ReplyDelete